Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ring-a-ding-ding

So let's talk rings for a bit.

They are gorgeous; they are breathtaking; there are so many different to choose from; and finally, they are WAY OVERPRICED!!! I mean, seriously. They are supposed to symbolize the eternal love shared between you and your chosen partner, and are placed on your left finger because it was believed that the left ring finger carried a vein that goes straight to your heart. People now day have gotten SO caught up in the whole vanity of weddings that they end up spending several paychecks worth on an engagement ring, then another few paychecks on the two wedding rings. Don't get me wrong, I too entertain the idea of walking around and showing off some "bling" to my friends and family. Who doesn't?

But when it comes down to it, the only thing that REALLY matters to me is that on our wedding day I have Alex there at my side ready to be my husband and I his wife, and our son there to witness the commitment that his mommy and daddy are going to make to each other, to our family. I could have a piece of string tied to my finger and I wouldn't care. And believe me: At times I've been close to to saying "eff it all" and just going that route.


Alex has bought me a gorgeous engagement ring that I am completely in love with. It's unique and it's VERY sparkly, which are always awesome when combined together. However, being as it's a unique shape and was not purchased from a jeweler, it was very difficult to find a wedding band that would go with it.

We found one at kay's. It's absolutely beautiful and fits my engagement ring PERFECTLY. The downfall? It's $600. While that is relatively dirt cheap for a ring these days, it's more than I'd like to spend. We have already purchased Alex's wedding ring and it's all paid off, so the only one we have left is mine. So, naturally, I've decided that if I could find a substitute for my engagement/wedding rings that will be cheaper combined, I would do that. I can always put my current ring away for later and upgrade to my $600 enhancer that I was looking at when we have the spare cash.

I am a follower of another blog and she had a post last month about these unique rings on Etsy. They are SO gorgeous and are made of recycled metals. While there are several rings available with diamonds in them, the engagement ring/wedding ring I am looking at have white sapphires in them and together will only cost me around $300.


HOORAY!!!!!!!

They are so unique and interesting and absolutely gorgeous!!! Alex has told me he is not a fan of them but he has never been one for bizarre and unique jewelry. I, on the other hand, have always been the opposite. But who knows what will happen.... I just know that the extra $300 we would be saving on my ring would be nothing short of beneficial for the rest of our wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment